Safeguarding refers to the range of plans and activities that are put in place to protect children and adults who may be vulnerable to abuse and neglect from being exploited or harmed. Safeguarding in the church community – making our churches safe for children, young people and vulnerable adults – is everyone’s responsibility.
The parish churches of West Monkton, Kingston St Mary, Cheddon Fitzpaine and Broomfield take seriously their responsibility for the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults and follow the safeguarding policies of the Church of England and the Diocese of Bath and Wells.
The South Quantock Benefice has developed its own Safeguarding Policy based on recommendations laid out Promoting A Safer Church, the Church of England’s Safeguarding Policy and the Church of England Safeguarding Handbook.
If you wish to report safeguarding concerns or abuse in connection with our churches please feel free to contact our Safeguarding Officer:
Lucy Hay, 01823 451204
or in her absence the Rector, Rev. Mary Styles, 01823 451189
Or call the Safeguarding Officers for the Diocese:
Glenys Armstrong 01749 685135
or Helen Humphreys 01749 685103
Where there is immediate risk to a child, young person or vulnerable adult you should contact the Police on 999 or 111 or the Local Authority Social Care Service on 0300 123 2224 (out of hours 0300 123 23 27 (children) / 01823 368244 (Adults and Mental Health).
The following organisations provide support for those suffering abuse:
– NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
– Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
– National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 ((lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
– Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
– Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 0808 808 8141 ( free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm)